The Union Minister for Human Resource Development Smriti Zubin Irani on 30 June 2016 launched the Prashikshak, a teacher education portal, with a vision to strengthen District Institutes of Education and Training (DIETs) and bring quality teachers into the Indian school education system.
• For now, Prashiskshak Portal works only for DIETs, however it will cover block level institutes in the future and identify gaps at the bottom of the pyramid.
• Prashikshak is a unique IT initiative, a first of its kind in the country, which will contain a comprehensive database of all DIETs in the country with all relevant performance indicators.
• It will help benchmark DIETs to enable aspiring teachers to make informed choices about their future.
• It will give the opportunity to Union and State Governments to do real time monitoring of the institutions.
• The major users of Prashikshak will be Pre-service teacher educators, DIET principals and faculty, Policy makers at District, State Government and National Level and the General public.
• It was established through joint collaboration between UnionMinistry of Human Resource Development and Central Square Foundation.