The Barak-8 missile, as it is called, was co-developed by the Defence Research Development Laboratory (DRDL) of DRDO in partnership with the Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
• Apart from the missile, the system includes a Multi Functional Surveillance and Threat Alert Radar (MF STAR) for detection, tracking and guidance of the missile.
• The missile, along with MF—STAR, will provide the users with the capability to neutralise any aerial threats.
• These missiles will be produced at the Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) in Hyderabad.
• Along with the long range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM), it would be inducted in all the three Services once the user’s trials are completed.
• The LR-SAM was successfully test-fired in Israel and India in November and December 2015 respectively.
GOVERNMENT JOB ALERT