Lakshadweep became first Union Territory (UT) to sign 24×7 Power for All document. Representative of Government of India and the Administration of Lakshadweep signed the document in presence of P.K. Pujari, Secretary, Ministry of Power.
• The document chalks out a plan to increase solar capacity of the region from 2.15 MW to 8.45 MW.
• At present, 10 inhabited islands of Lakshadweep are being fed by diesel mostly.
• The plan also envisions reduction of AT & C losses from current level of 21% to 6.7% till 2019 by increasing the collection efficiency up to 99 %.
• As a part of energy efficiency measures, 1 lakh LED bulbs will be distributed by UT administration through Energy Efficiency Services (EESL) and Incandescent lamps/CFL bulbs will be replaced with LED bulbs under UJALA programme. Additionally, replacement of 3000 conventional street lights with LED street lights is also being taken up.
• The ‘Power for All’ programme is a major step in this direction.
• Government of India have taken a joint initiative with respective State Governments for preparation of State specific documents for providing 24×7 power supply to all households /homes, industrial & commercial consumers and adequate supply of power to Agricultural consumers as per state policy.