Eminent actor and theatre personality Sulabha Deshpande passed away 4 June 2016 in Mumbai. She was 79.
Deshpande was considered to be one of the pioneers of the experimental theatre movement that swept Mumbai in the 1970s.
• Sulabha Deshpande was an acclaimed Indian film, theatre and television actress and theatre director.
• She started her career as a teacher at Chhabildas Boy's High School in Dadar, Mumbai.
• Apart from Marathi theatre as well as Hindi theatre in Mumbai, she acted in over 73 movies mainstream Bollywood.
• She also acted in art house cinema, like Bhumika, Arvind Desai Ki Ajeeb Dastaan and Gaman as a character actor.
• In 1971 she co-founded, theatre group, Awishkar with her husband Arvind Deshpande.
• Soon, she established the Chandrashala, the children's theatre wing of Awishkar. Notable Bollywood actors Nana Patekar and Urmila Matondkar have been students of Chandrashala.
• In recent years, she acted in serials like Jee Ley Zara, Ek Packet Umeed, Asmita and films like English Vinglish.