On 2 May 2016 The Supreme Court of India appointed a three-member panel headed by former Chief Justice of India (CJI) RM Lodha to oversee the functions of the Medical Council of India.
The panel consists of former CAG Vinod Rai and Dr SK Sareen.
• The court appointed the panel after MCI has been accused of corrupt.
• A parliamentary committee report said that the MCI was repeatedly found short of fulfilling its mandated responsibilities,
• Medical graduates lacked competence in performing basic healthcare tasks. Instances of unethical practices continued to grow. The MCI was not able to spearhead any serious reforms in medical education.
• Earlier, RM Lodha headed a three-member panel appointed by the top court to look into the 2013 betting scandal in the Indian Premier league (IPL) and the functioning of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI)
• He also headed the committee appointed to sell assets of Pearls Agrotech Corporation Ltd (PACL) and refund 49 thousand crore rupees to the investors.