The Rio 2016 organizing committee on 14 June 2016 revealed the official slogan, A New World, for the first Olympic and Paralympic Games in South America.
• The slogan was unveiled by Thomas Bach, president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), at a special ceremony held at Olympic Park in Barra da Tijuca, Brazil.
• Besides, the organising committee also unveiled the designs for the 2488 gold, silver and bronze medals that ten thousand athletes will soon be competing for.
• A new world will be the front and center message that will be transmitted around the world in the lead-up to and during the 2016 Games.
• The slogan was chosen to show the desire of Rio 2016 for a better world.
• The creation of a slogan is a tradition of each Olympic Games. Previous Olympic mottos included Welcome home for Athens in 2004, One world, one dream for Beijing in 2008, and Inspire a Generation for London in 2012.