Every year April 24 is being observed as National Panchayati Raj (PR) Diwas across India.
• Amendment) Act, 1992 that came into force with effect from 24 April 1993.
• It had led a defining moment in the history of India which helped in decentralization of political power to the grassroots level.
• In turn it had led to institutionalization of Panchayati Raj (PR) through the village, Intermediate and District level Panchayats.
• Every year on this day Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj organises National Conference to commemorate the National Panchayati Raj Diwas.
• Best performing Gram Panchayats are conferred with Rashtriya Gaurav Gram Sabha Purskar by the Union Ministry of Panchayati Raj.
• The Panchayati Raj in India generally refers to the system introduced by constitutional amendment in 1992, although it is based upon the traditional panchayat system of South Asia.
• The modern panchayati raj and its gram panchayats are not to be confused with the extra-constitutional khap panchayats (or caste panchayats) found in northern India.
• While the panchayati raj system was formalized in 1992, leading up to that change, a number of Indian committees studied various ways of implementing more decentralized administration.