Garbine Muguruza won grand slam title with a 7-5 6-4 win over the world number one Serena Williams and defending champion in the French Open final.
• The 22-year-old fourth seed, who lost to Williams in last year’s Wimbledon final, became the first Spaniard to lift the Suzanne Lenglen Cup since Arantxa Sanchez Vicario in 1998.
• It was Muguruza’s first final on the slow surface and she relied on a powerful first serve.
• In the fourth game, which lasted nine minutes, Muguruza saved a break point with an unreturnable forehand, then a second with an ace.
• Garbiñe Muguruza Blanco is a Venezuelan-born Spanish professional tennis player.
• Muguruza is the 2016 French Open champion.
• Her other career highlights include her maiden title at the 2014 Moorilla Hobart International, the 2015 China Open, and reaching the final of the 2015 Wimbledon Championships.
Muguruza achieved her career-high singles ranking of world No. 2 and doubles ranking of world No. 10 in June 2016 and February 2015 respectively.