Narendra Modi to inaugurate 5th India International Science Festival in Kolkata
• Narendra Modi will inaugurate fifth India International Science Festival at 4 pm on Tuesday and address a gathering in Kolkata through video conferencing
• IISF is an annual event organised jointly by science and technology-related ministries and departments of Indian government, Vijnana Bharati (Vibha), which is being held in Kolkata this year
• This is the fifth edition since its inception in 2015.
Agriculture Minister releases 5th edition of Wastelands Atlas - 2019
• Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar today released the fifth edition of Wastelands Atlas - 2019. The Atlas, published jointly by Department of Land Resources and National Remote Sensing Centre, provides robust geospatial information on wasteland. It is helpful in rolling back the wastelands for productive use through various land development programmes and schemes.
• Wastelands Atlas-2019 also provides State and district wise distribution of different categories of wastelands area in the country and will be helpful in addressing land degradation.
IBM partners with govt to launch platform for skilling students
• Tech giant IBM announced launch of SkillsBuild platform in collaboration with the Directorate General of Training under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (MSDE).
• As part of the programme, a two-year advanced diploma in information technology (IT), networking and cloud computing will be offered at the Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and the National Skill Training Institutes (NSTIs).
• The platform will also be extended to train ITI and NSTI faculty in artificial intelligence (AI) skills.
• SkillsBuild offers digital learning content from IBM and partners, like CodeDoor, Coorpacademy and Skillsoft.
Finance Minister launches IT initiatives ICEDASH, ATITHI
Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman unveiled two new IT initiatives – ICEDASH and ATITHI – for improved monitoring and pace of Customs clearance of imported goods and facilitating arriving international passengers by electronic filing of Customs baggage and currency declarations.
Serbia’s Sara Damnjanovic wins “Miss Asia Global title 2019”
The 5th Edition of ‘Miss Asia Global Title 2019’ was organized at Gokulam Convention centre in Kochi, Kerala. Sara Damnjanovic from Serbia has been crowned ‘Miss Asia Global 2019’. The title is given to the winner from the Asian region. Nguyen Thi Yen Trang from Vietnam was awarded the Miss Asia title given to the winner from the rest of the world. Samiksha Singh from India won the sub-title of ‘Miss Beautiful Face’ Title. The Next ‘Miss Asia Global Title 2020’ will be held in Malaysia.
Science & Technology
India’s first global Mega Science Exhibition ‘Vigyan Samagam’ in Kolkata
• Bringing the world’s major Mega Science projects together, India’s first-ever global Mega-Science exhibition, ‘Vigyan Samagam’, was inaugurated at the Science City in Kolkata
• The Union Minister of Health & Family Welfare, Minister of Science & Technology and Minister of Earth Sciences, Government of India, Dr Harsh Vardhan, addressed the gathering through video conference.
• This multi-venue Science Exhibition, after its successful journey in Mumbai and Bengaluru, is now open for public in Kolkata.
• Vigyan Samagam will be in Kolkata till December 31, 2019.
• The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Department of Science and Technology (DST), the funding agencies of these projects and the National Council of Science Museums (NCSM), Ministry of Culture, who are venue partners and having expertise in design and hosting such exhibitions, have joined hands to organize this prestigious Science Exhibition.
N.V. Balasubramanian Retired Judge of Madras High Court Passes Away
• Justice N.V. Balasubramanian, retired Judge of Madras High Court passed away.
• He served as the Madras High Court judge from 1996 – 2007 & as the Chairman of committees on fixation of fee for self- financing professional colleges and polytechnics after retiring from service.
• He worked as senior counsel & arbitrator in Supreme Court (SC) of India for 11 years.