EU Commission begins new term under von der Leyen
• Ursula von der Leyen is the first woman to hold the EU’s top job as President of the European Commission, which has officially begun its new five-year term.
• Already, the 61-year-old former German defence minister, who succeeds Jean-Claude Juncker has a full intray.
• She has made the issue of climate change one of her top priorities – describing it as an existential crisis.
Govt appoints Soma Roy Burman as new Controller General of Accounts
• The government said it has appointed Soma Roy Burman, a 1986-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service Officer, as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA). Burman is the 24th CGA and is the seventh woman to hold this position.
• During her 33-year long career, she has held cadre positions at different levels in ministries such as Home Affairs, Information & Broadcasting, Industry, Finance, Human Resource Development and Shipping, Road Transport & Highways.
• Prior to this, Burman served as the Additional Controller General of Accounts in the office of CGA, handling the critical areas of accounting rules, policy and reforms, financial reporting, data analytics, cash and budget management.
Lionel Messi and Megan Rapinoe win 2019 Ballon d’Or awards
• Barcelona forward Lionel Messi won this year’s Ballon d’Or award.
• The 32-year-old Argentine overtook Cristiano Ronaldo and took his tally of Ballon d’Or wins to six, the most by any player.
• Messi and Ronaldo have now won 11 of the past 12 Ballon d’Ors.
• 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup-winning US co-captain Megan Rapinoe won the women’s Ballon d’Or.
CRISIL cuts India’s GDP growth for FY20 to 5.1%
• Rating Agency CRISIL has reduced the GDP growth rate projection for India for 2019-20 (FY20) to 5.1% from its earlier prediction of 6.3%.
• This comes after the official data (Government of India) shows the second-quarter growth at 4.5%.
India and ADB Sign USD 206 million loan to strengthen urban services in 5 Tamil Nadu cities
• The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India has signed $206 million loan on December 2, 2019 to develop water supply and sewerage infrastructure in 5 cities of Tamil Nadu.
• The loan amount will also be used to strengthen capacities of urban local bodies (ULBs) for improved service delivery.
VP Venkaiah Naidu launches 'Bharatiya Poshan Anthem'
• On December 3, 2019, Indian Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu launched the “Bharatiya Poshan Anthem”.
• The anthem has been conceptualised by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
• It has been written by noted lyricist Prasoon Joshi and sung by Shankar Mahadevan.
• The ‘Poshan Abhiyan or National Nutrition Mission’ was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in March 2018 to make India malnutrition free by 2022 by ensuring holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children.
Indo-Nepal joint military Exercise SURYA KIRAN 2019 Commences in Rupendehi
• The annual joint military exercise ‘SURYA KIRAN – XIV’ between India and Nepal began at Salijhandi, Rupendehi district of Nepal on 03 December 2019.
• The exercise will continue till December 16, 2019.
Author Tony Joseph wins 2019 Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize for ‘Early Indians’
• English author Tony Joseph has been awarded the 12th ‘Shakti Bhatt First Book Prize’ for his 2018 book, “Early Indians: The Story of Our Ancestors and Where We Came From”.
• Instituted in 2008, by the Shakti Bhatt Foundation, the award seeks to celebrate “extraordinary new writing in all genres” from South Asian countries.
Indian men’s volleyball team beat Pakistan to clinch Gold at 13th South Asian Games
• The Indian men’s volleyball team defeated Pakistan by 3-1 in finals at the South Asian Games 2019 to win gold.
• The bronze medal ent to Sri Lanka.
• Meanwhile, in the women’s final, Indian team beat hosts Nepal 3-2 to clinch the gold. Here also Sri Lanka won bronze.
• South Asian Games 2019 is being held in Kathmandu, Nepal from December 1-10, 2019.
International Day of Persons with Disabilities: 3 December
• The International Day of Persons with Disabilities was proclaimed in 1992 by United Nations General Assembly and is observed annually on December 3.
• Aim: to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development, and to increase awareness of the situation of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
• 2019 Theme: Promoting the participation of persons with disabilities and their leadership: taking action on the 2030 Development Agenda.