BSF Celebrated its Raising Day
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended greetings to Border Security Force (BSF) personnel on the organization’s 55th raising day (01st December 2019).
• The BSF was raised in 1965 with the specific purpose of manning Indian borders as the ‘First Line of Defence’ against infiltration, smuggling, and military assault.
Govt launches drive to enroll 1 cr beneficiaries under two pension schemes
• The government has launched a drive to enroll one crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maandhan (PM-SYM) and the National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self Employed Persons (NPS-Traders) by March next year.
• Labour and Employment Minister Santosh Kumar Gangwar launched the drive to mark the celebrations of Pension week. Stating that both the schemes are simple and hassle-free, an Aadhaar card number along with a savings bank account or Jan-Dhan account are needed for enrollments.
Exercise Mitra Shakti – VII Between India and Sri Lanka Commences in Pune
• The seventh edition of Exercise MITRA SHAKTI- 2019 amongst the armies of India and Sri Lanka commenced at Aundh Military Station, Pune on 01 December.
• The exercise is aimed at enhancing interoperability and operational efficiency as well as build and promote positive relations between both the armies in the field of military cooperation and engagement for refining the interoperability and operational preparedness.
Soma Roy Burman Takes charge as new Controller General of Accounts (CGA)
• A 1986-batch Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS) Officer, Smt Soma Roy Burman has been appointed as the new Controller General of Accounts (CGA), Ministry of Finance, Department of Expenditure with effect from December 1, 2019.
• Smt. Burman is the 24th CGA and 7th woman to hold the position.
• Prior to this, she served as Additional Controller General of Accounts in the office of CGA
Shri Hari Mohan Appointed as Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board
• Shri Hari Mohan, a 1982-batch Indian Ordnance Factories’ Service (I.O.F.S.) officer, has taken over the charge as Chairman of Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) on December 01, 2019.
• He succeeds Shri Saurabh Kumar who superannuated from the services.
Iraqi PM Adel Abdul Mahdi resigns amid anti-government protests
• Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi has submitted his resignation to Parliament amid ongoing anti-government protests across the country. The formal resignation came after an emergency cabinet session in which ministers approved the document and the resignation of key staffers, including Abdul Mahdi’s chief of staff.
• Barham Salih is the current President of Iraq.
Baghdad is the capital of Iraq.
The Iraqi dinar is the currency of Iraq.
Union Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju Launch 3rd Khelo India Youth Games in Guwahati
• The launching ceremony of the Composite Logo, Mascot, Jersey and Theme song of the third edition of Khelo India Youth Games 2020 took place at Karmabir Nabin Chandra Bordoloi Indoor Stadium, Sarusajai, Guwahti, Assam on November 30, 2019.
• The event was jointly inaugurated by Assam Chief Minister Sarbanada Sonowal in the presence of Kiren Rijiju, Union Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs and Sports.
• The 2020 Games will be held from 10 January 2020 to 22 January 2020.
• It will be conducted in partnership with the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), School Games Federation of India (SGFI), and Assam as the host State.
• The event will be held in 20 disciplines with the participation of 37 States and Union Territories.
Lewis Hamilton wins Abu Dhabi Grand Prix to Clinch 11th Title of the Season
• The Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton has won the 2019 Formula 1 season finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, held on December 1, 2019, to end the season with 11th title.
• With this Lewis Hamilton successfully defended the World Drivers’ Championship title for the second year running and sixth world drivers’ title overall.
• Red Bull’s Max Verstappen finished runner-up while Ferrari driver Charles Leclerc came third.
World AIDS Day: December 1
• The World AIDS Day is observed across the globe on 1 December every year since 1988 to raise awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection
• The theme for the World Aids Day 2019 is “Communities make the difference”.