International Master Visakh NR of Tamil Nadu broke a nine-year jinx to lead an Indian sweep in the Ninth Mumbai Mayor International Open chess tournament at Mount Litera School International, BKC.
• The 17-year-old drew his final round match with GM Diptayan Ghosh, and was tied for the top place on eight points with Ghosh and Chandigarh’s Gusain Himal.
• The arbiters declared Visakh champion on a better tie-break as he drew with GM Diptayan Ghosh, the mutual decision coming after 16 moves.
• Visakh is the first Indian to win this prestigious event in its nine-year history.
• The game between Visakh and Ghosh started with a Queen's Indian and turned into a Dutch Defence.
• On the 9th move Ghosh sacrificed a pawn on d5 for better play but both players did not take any risk and agreed for a draw in just 16 moves.