The International Astronomical Union in June 2016 named a 9.8 kilometers wide crater on Mars as Langtang, a popular trekking site in Nepal.
• Langtang is one of the villages of Nepal that was worst hit by the 25 April 2015 earthquake.
• As per reports, at least 215 people were killed in the village after the quake triggered an avalanche.
• The researcher behind the move, Dr. Tjalling de Haas, said that he chose this name because his colleague had worked there while studying Himalayan glaciers.
• It was his base camp for a long period, so we said may be it is a nice tribute.
• Dr de Haas, who studies Mars's physical geography at Utrecht University in the Netherlands, has named another crater as Bunnik, his hometown in Utrecht.
• Both names were approved by the International Astronomical Union Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature.